Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Real Eyes Realize

“Ms. Barnes, can you please wait in my office?”

Connor held out his hand gesturing for me to go inside. I had just arrived to the office and found Danielle and Connor standing in the hallway having a chat. He had a stack of charts in his hand and she wore a nice sleek pair of Prada eyeglasses as they looked over some paperwork.

“Sureee” I nodded at Connor and smiled at Danielle. I could feel the sympathy pouring in from her side. I couldn't help but think of what she was thinking. 'Oh, that poor mess of a girl is smiling at me, how cute.'

I walked into his office and took a seat in the chair across from his desk. I crossed my legs and twiddled with my thumbs as I waited.

For the most part I stared out the window, which over looked a park surrounded by the tall buildings of New York. I watched as nannies power walked by with strollers and tiny little balls of fur on leashes.

My eyes wandered around the room trying to find a clock. It must have been at least ten minutes since Connor asked me to wait in his office. My eyes stopped when I saw a picture that I hadn't seen before.

The picture was framed and sitting on his desk. It looked like it was from his most recent Pro Bono trip to Asia. We had broken up just hours before he left on his trip. Maybe that's why I hadn't seen the picture. I picked it up and examined it.

Connor stood tall as a little Cambodian girl sat on his shoulders. His arms were wrapped around a young boy, about the same age as the girl, who was standing in front of him. And a second boy stood to the side of them. The four of them were caught in the middle of a laugh as if they were having a great time. I smiled as I looked at their faces.

But then I noticed something. There was a woman in the background of the picture. She was close enough for me to see her and just far enough that I couldn't quite make out who it was.

 Just when I had figured it out, Connor came walking into the room.

I scurried to put the picture back. His nose was buried in the chart he held in his hand. He was so busy looking at it, he hadn't even realized I was sitting in the room.

“Ah, Ms. Barnes.” He said when he looked up and saw me.

“She's gone” I said casually “you can drop the formality”

“I don't know what you're talking about.” He furrowed his brows and pretended like he wasn't hiding the fact that we had once dated.

His eyes looked towards the open door. He waited a second before he walked back to close it and sat at his desk. He continued to look over the charts in his hand while simultaneously typing on the computer.

“Are you going to review any of this information, or not?” His eyes looked up at me.

I grabbed a folder off his desk and began flipping through it. “So” I said without taking my eyes off the paperwork. “How long have you two been together.”

The sound of typing stopped, but he didn't turn his head up until he began speaking, “What are you referring to?”

“You know.” It was my turn to casually look over the chart in my hand as I spoke. “You and Danielle. How long have you two been together?”

He seemed uneasy about my question, “We aren't together.”

I closed the folder and looked up at him. “Come on, Connor. The hot kiss, constantly running to her defense...you can't deny it.”

He sighed heavily and rubbed his forehead before going back to his work. “I don't know....a few weeks I guess”

“ A few weeks, or a few months?” I held up the picture that I'd been looking at earlier.

The look on his face was priceless. “How did you even see that.”

“Are you kidding? Ex-girlfriends notice everything.” He took the framed picture from my hand. “So, let me get this straight. We broke up hours before you left out of the country and a week later you end up dating her?”

Connor didn't respond. He was too busy trying to avoid my question.

“Connor” I called for his attention. “I really don't care that you two are dating. Actually I'm lying, I'm thrilled because it makes this whole situation a lot easier.”

He continued typing.

“But, you can't just get into a relationship immediately after having your heart broken.”

“Oh, really?” His words were drenched in sarcasm. “Give me more relationship advice, Lynn.” He placed his elbow on the desk and propped his head up on his fist.

“Look” I sighed, trying to find the best way to explain the situation to him. “I know I'm not a love guru”

“Clearly” He mumbled and rolled his eyes before standing up.

I stood up and followed him to the door.“Part of the reason I don't think it worked between us is because I started my relationship with you immediately after Jonah left town. I hadn't even given myself a chance to miss him. I still loved him and that's why it made it so hard for me to be there 100 percent for you.”

“Trust me” His hand was placed on the door knob as he waited for us to finish our conversation before opening the door. “I don't have feelings for you”

“Yes you do” I mumbled back.

He irritatedly turned around to rebuttal, but only found himself standing inches away from me. The emotions vanished from his face as he accidentally looked into my eyes and realized the truth.

20 comments:

  1. Phewwww dont even know what to say..I love jonah and lynn dont get me wrong but I do have a soft spot for Connor. Very glad she finally said something...defs still on team Loanh (Lynn and Jonah) haha :)

    http://mycautiouslyoptimisticstory.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh.. why is she being so pushy? It's none of her business. You're there to work. Go work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Why is she bringing up old shit and making it awkward. Keep it professional, they have both moved on, leave it at that.

      Delete
  3. Was Lynn trying to ease some of the tension by having this conversation? Just trying to understand the endgame here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. Why is she pushing this? I'm not a fan of her this morning lol

      Delete
    2. While I genuinely think Lynn is coming from a good place, it's no longer her business how Conner handles his personal life. Encouraging someone to recognize and deal with their feelings for you while you are working for them is just a terrible idea. Let Conner live in denial until AFTER her rotation is done.

      Delete
    3. I agree completely! Who cares what Connor is doing. Lynn loves Jonah and she needs to focus on working with the patients and not on who Connor is dating.

      Delete
  4. Gahh. Awkward work situation all around. I'm still rooting for Jonah. Even though Connor did fly to Texas for Lynn...

    http://sluttyisthenewblack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jonah and Lynn together but for some reason I get excited when Connor comes into the picture... I know that's bad. My good side thinks Lynn making Connor realize his feelings was unnecessary and overstepping her bounds but my bad side is glad she did so Connor can stop his self righteous attitude act.

    http://jocelynseverydayjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewww... this is 100% none of Lynn's business. Not loving that she is choosing to insert herself in such a personal aspect of Connor's life; especially while in the mentor/mentoree dynamic with him. She should have learned to keep this completely professional. It's not like they ended on good terms and consider each other friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of us agree lol. Loooove jonah. But I got really excited when I saw this was a connor post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Jonah but my gosh whenever Connor isn't an asshole I do root for him. Reformed bad boys are so hot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn was scared that she wont get a fair grade because Connor wont be able to keep it professionnal. It seems that its her who has this problem. What was the point of getting Connor to realise his feelings for her? Shes with someone else now.

    And I agree!! I love having Connor back and a Connor post makes me root for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No no no no, what the hell, get Connor out the picture already hating this

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah. That was some serious love detective work. Lynn knows what she's doing, and hopefully Connor will reflect on Lynn's advice. Although they're still not on good terms, I think Lynn just wants to try to help Connor out so he doesn't continue to hurt himself and others. Some argue that this is none of Lynn's business, which is true, but she's just trying to help. Connor and Lynn are definetly not getting back together though that would be terrible, but everyone deserves that special someone. For Lynn, that person is Jonah, and Connor is still searching. Hopefully all goes well. Btw, I am still in love with Jonah though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this because it's so on point. Lynn is full of surprises, but I'm glad you were able to catch onto the drift! ;)

      Delete
    2. I read your comment a few times, trying to understand what you meant but I dont get how making Connor realize that he's in love with her will make him know that she was not the one. Really confused...

      Delete
  12. Lynn why would you want him to realize that? You have to work with him and you have a boyfriend.

    http://psillloveyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally unassociated with this blog.....But are we getting the bonus post from last week this week? Just wondering. I know lay week was hectic with thanksgiving and all. Thanks for the awesome blog and keeping everyone updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add a person excerpt to the thanksgiving post, but what I ended up doing is combining Thursday's post with a bonus post to make it even longer rather than posting again over the weekend. I did this because views are usually down over holiday weekends, so it made sense to have one long post everyone would see rather than one addition post that most wouldn't

      Delete