Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

One Too Many

Even though I had nothing to drink the night before, I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a train, and then a bus, and then a car. I was physically and mentally exhausted.

I heard Kadie in the kitchen and a few minutes later there was a knock on my door. Kadie walked in “Hey, don't you need to get ready for class?” She stood at the foot of my bed still wearing her pajamas with her hair tied up.

“No, I'm taking a mental sick day” I said in a raspy voice while covering my face with my blanket.

“Really? I don't have to go into work today either!” Kadie said cheerfully as she jumped into my bed.

“How was dinner last night with your parents?” She pulled the blanket back from my face when I didn't immediately respond.

“Weird as hell”

“What happened?”

“Well first of all” I leaned up and slightly turned towards Kadie as I started my venting session “You know I hadn't seen them all week cause I had that exam I was so busy studying for”

“Yeah, I know, I hadn't even seen you all week either! You were pretty much living in the library” Kadie agreed

“Well, you'd think the first time we're all going out it would just be the three of us, right?”

“Right!”

“Wrong. They invited this couple that's in town for the convention and they just happen to be staying at the same hotel. I mean really? Oh and get this Kadie...” I sat all the way up and Kadie got the hint that what I was about to tell her was going to be seriously ridiculous “They brought their son along...”

Kadie cut me off “Was he cute?!”

“I mean, yeah, but that's besides the point! So my parents introduce me to him and tell me he lives in the city and goes to NYU med.”

“Were they trying to hook you up with him?”

“I don't know what their intentions were, but if that's the case then it's pretty messed up on the count that they just met Jonah. So typical.” I rolled my eyes “Anyway so once we sit down I try making conversation with him and you'll never guess what he says”

“Oh God, what?”

“He's like 'I'm really not interested in you, my parents forced me to be here” I said in a mocking voice

Kadie dropped her jaw and gasped “No he didn't! What the hell!!”

“Oh no, no, that's not even the best part! So, I go outside to hail a cab and when one pulls up he comes out of nowhere and jumps inside before I could even open the door. He rolls down the window and says 'drop the good girl act' and throws his cigarette at the curb”

“Oh my God!!” Kadie stared at me for a good 5 seconds before we both erupted into laughter.

When we were finally able to catch our breath we rolled out of bed and decided to eat breakfast. Kadie pulled out a couple of bowls and poured out some cereal for the both of us.

There was a moment of silence in our conversation and within seconds I was reminded of Jonah. I felt an overwhelming sadness come over me and Kadie was able to catch it “Lynn, don't worry about Jonah. I know it seems hard to see him go now but there's no doubt in my mind he'll be back here soon enough.”

“What if this is the last time I see him?”

“You need to be hopeful that you will see him again. But, if you don't, then you should be thankful that you were blessed to have such a sweet and genuine guy come into your life to help you get through a tough time. Can you imagine what a mess you'd be if Jonah wasn't around to help you get over Joshua?” Kadie quickly looked up to see my reaction

“What?”

“I said Joshua's name and you didn't even flinch. That should show you how much you've changed, for the better.”

“I know, K, but it really just sucks! The worst part is, he wants me to come with him and I can't. I know sometimes I get frustrated with my dad and I threaten not to go into medical, but deep down, it's something I want to do. I couldn't just drop everything to go with him”

“And you shouldn't! You're just starting to discover things about yourself you didn't know. You finally fulfilled your dreams to move here and you still have so much more to learn.” Kadie reached over and softly rubbed my shoulder to comfort me “Remember when you first told me about Jonah? Why was it ya'll didn't exchange numbers?”

“Because if it was meant to be we'd end up finding each other” I mumbled. I knew where Kadie was going with this.

“Exactly”

We finished breakfast and Kadie decided I should turn my negative energy into something positive with some hot yoga. There was a studio a few blocks down from our apartment that Kadie would always go to and rave about. So, I gave in and joined her.

After 90 minutes of hell, I mean yoga, we walked over to a juice bar to grab some refreshments. Just as the gentleman behind the counter handed me my pomegranate protein shake my phone started ringing.

“Hey mom”

“Hi honey! I hope I didn't call you during class?”

“No, I was just on break” I lied

“Oh, good! Do you have any plans tonight? Now that it's finally the weekend and you aren't so busy with school we wanted you to come with us to the convention tonight. Your dad thinks it'll be a great way for you to network!” I rolled my eyes. My dad was always thinking about my career for me.

“Sure mom I'll meet you at the hotel” I decided to go, because what the hell, it's not like I had anything better to do.

Once we got back to the apartment Kadie and I decided to play a Real Housewives of Atlanta marathon in the background while we cleaned up. And by 'playing it in the background' I mean we sat on the couch with cleaning supplies in hand watching the show for a good couple of hours before we realized we hadn't cleaned anything yet.

We eventually got around to cleaning and afterward I took a shower and started getting ready for the convention. I decided to dress business casual with a black knee high pencil skirt with a blue chiffon shirt tucked in.

The sun was starting to set just as I headed out for my parent's hotel. I called them as I arrived so they could jump into the cab with me. The hotel where the convention was taking place was at a hotel across town.

We finally made it there and I couldn't help but sigh as I looked around and saw the crowd. It was mainly older people my parent's age. Tonight was going to be so much fun.

As my parents walked in and started mingling I made a beeline for the bar. I needed something strong to get me through the night. One drink turned into a few before my dad swooped in to introduce me to some of his acquaintances.

We spent a couple of hours socializing before my parent's new friends, the Anderson's, decided to join us. They brought their stupid son Jaime with them and I wasn't too pleased to see his smug face.

Suddenly the few drinks I had weren't enough and I made my way back over to the bar. Before I could order a drink Jaime was at my side.

“Gross. Get away from me” I said in a snarky tone.

“Look, I'm sorry about the other night, but there's only one bar here” Jaime said in a sweet melodic voice that made him seem sincere. I released the tension from my face and looked over at him ready to accept his apology. Before I could he continued, “God knows I'm going to need a lot of drinks to forget being here with you”

“Fuck you” I turned away from Jaime and ordered a shot. When the bartender slid one over I quickly guzzled it down. I was getting looks from the older crowd around me, but at this point I didn't care. I ordered another. I could hear Jaime laughing behind me.

“Easy sweetheart! You're not fooling anyone!”

I stumbled as I turned around “What's your problem?”

Jaime looked down at me and then over to the bar, “Right now, you being in my way. Move!” He slid past me and ordered a drink for himself.

I was so annoyed with Jaime I walked away from the bar without drinking the shot I ordered.

“Yeah, I figured you couldn't handle any more” Jaime mumbled as I was walking away.

I quickly turned around “What did you say?”

Jaime took a sip of his drink and raised his eyebrows before walking away. What was with this guy? I had never experienced such rude and tasteless behavior before.

I spotted my parents across the room and made my way to them. I was going over to let them know it was getting late and that I should be on my way home. But I stopped myself when I saw who they were talking to. He was a handsome man who looked to be in his early 30's. He had dark blonde hair and blue eyes you could swim in for days. Well, hello there!

“Lynn, we were just talking about you! This is Dr. Cassidy...”

Before my dad could continue Dr. Dreamy cut him off “Oh, please, you can call me Connor”

“It's nice to meet you” I said while smiling like a dork. Connor smiled back flashing a perfect set of pearly whites. I almost wanted to touch him to make sure he was real. But that would be weird considering I was still standing there smiling at him.

Once I recovered myself from looking like a complete idiot Connor and I started talking about the City. Turns out he just recently moved here and wasn't familiar with the area. I agreed to show him around whenever he was settled into his new place.

When the crowd around my parents started growing Connor suggested we go to the bar to get a drink.

“What would you like to drink?”

“A water is fine, thank you”

Connor and I sat at the bar for a while and talked about his new practice he just opened in the City. He told me about his transitioning into New York life and what his hometown of Brookline was like. It was interesting getting to know so much about him. The more he talked the more I was reminded of Jonah. They both had the same gentlemen like mannerisms and broad vocabularies.

After an hour or so I decided to call it a night. It was getting late and I still had to make my way back home.

The next morning I woke up feeling exactly as I did yesterday, completely hungover, but this time I knew alcohol was involved.

I squinted my eyes and slowly opened them. The windows in my room let in a ton of light in the morning, so I was surprised when everything around me was dark. I could hear people talking but couldn't see anything. I kept blinking my eyes until they focused. I looked around and noticed I was in a limo. The windows were tinted almost pitch black. How did I get here? I lifted myself up and looked down. I was only wearing my bra and skirt. My shirt was on the other side of the limo. I tried to climb over to the end when suddenly I was startled as I heard someone's voice from behind me “Thank god you're awake I was starting to think you might have died” I gasped when I turned around.

It was Jaime.

5 comments:

  1. What?! Cant wait to find up how she ended up half naked in a limo with Jamie! Great writing & what a cliffhanger!! :) ~ Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know i feel the same way, but i knew something would happen with jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he didn't slip something in her drink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So she was having drinks with Connor, decided to call it a night, then ends up in a limo with Jamie? Give me a break. What a tool and a slime. His major is probably pharmaceuticals! mum

    ReplyDelete