Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

It's Show Time!

“She's gonna be here any minute! Did you call your sources?”

Kadie stood looking out of her office window down at the street below. Jebrone was pacing back and forth as he scrolled through his phone.

It was Friday morning and Kadie and Jebrone decided to put their plan into action. They were hoping to publicize Kadie's firm by having the paparazzi catch Poppy coming and leaving her office. It would benefit Jebrone as well since her firm represents a few of his clients, gaining them exposure as well.

“I think this is quiet possibly the dumbest thing you two have ever done.” I folded my arms and leaned back on the couch in Kadie's waiting room. “This is expected from Kadie, but not you Jebrone.”

Kadie snapped her head back from the window and gave me a stern look before shrugging in agreement.

“Lynn, this is how the business works. Everyone uses each other until they get what they want.” He looked up from his phone and out the window. “They're here. See, those cars over there? That's them.”

“Good, good, good, good, good!” Kadie rubbed her hands together and looked out the window the same way a lioness would look at it's prey.

“Jebrone, on a scale of 1 to 10 how hurt to do you think Adam would be when he sees the paparazzi pictures?” I swung my feet off the couch and sat upright.

Jebrone turned to Kadie. “You haven't told him yet?”

Kadie sighed, annoyed. “No, I'm planning on telling him as soon as Poppy leaves.”

“He's going to be so upset you didn't tell him and went behind his back.” I picked up my crossbody and slung it across my shoulder. “Well, I have to go and pick up my boyfriend from the airport.”

“Yeah, let's see how long it takes you to tell him about Connor!” Kadie shouted as I went into the elevator.

Jonah was finally done with his press tour and just one last weekend away from premiering his new show. From our last conversation on the phone I could tell it was starting to weigh heavy on him. His nerves were finally kicking it.

It wasn't until late that afternoon when he finally arrived.

“Heyyy Sunshine!” Jonah picked me up off my feet and embraced me into a hug.

“I bet you're happy to finally see a decent looking girl.”

“Oh” Jonah furrowed his brows. “Of course I am. The girls in LA are hideous!” The corner of his mouth curved up as he was trying to avoid smiling.

I laughed and pushed his shoulder. “Good answer!”

We took a cab back to Jonah's apartment. He was in the middle of a move before his trip to LA, so there were boxes all over the place.

Jonah threw his bags down and fell onto the couch.

“I bet you're starving. Let me make you something” I opened his fridge to see nothing but stacks of chocolate boxes, and bottles of wine given to Jonah as gifts. “Delivery it is then!”

“Sorry babe, I haven't had time to get any groceries. ” He peeked his head over the couch to look at me. “Besides a New Yorker like me going a week without pizza is a crime.”

I smiled and grabbed my phone. “Joe's?” I asked already knowing the answer.

“Joe's” He confirmed.

I sat beneath Jonah's legs as he sprawled himself across the couch. He told me all about his trip. How he got to meet the late night talk show hosts based in LA, and how the network had thrown a party in his honor where a bunch of celebrities had came that he'd never met before.

“It was so surreal.” He spoke animatedly “I mean, I've met some of these people from when I was a writer on the show. But to actually have them come to a party celebrating me, and know who I am? I still can't wrap my head around it.” He held onto his forehead.

The entire time Jonah was talking all I could think about was when I'd tell him about Connor. I wanted to tell him soon, partially to stick it to Kadie, but I couldn't find an appropriate moment.

“What's wrong?” Jonah asked. He could tell by the expression on my face that something was going on. I shook my head.

Just then there was a knock at the door. I lifted up Jonah's legs and wiggled out to get it.

We ate dinner, and like an old couple, lounged around eating boxed chocolates and drinking wine. Jonah came and sat next to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. “I missed you.” He leaned in to give me a quick kiss.

“I missed you too.” I smiled back. He leaned in again and this time kissed me longer. He grabbed the wine glass from my hands and set both of our glasses on the coffee table.

I was so lost in the moment I'd completely forgotten about the sexy lingerie I bought earlier that day until Jonah was trying to take my shirt off.

“Wait!” I tugged my shirt back on.

“What?” He leaned up on his elbows wondering what he did wrong. “Is everything okay?”

“Everything's fine.” I jumped off the sofa, grabbed my purse, and rushed into Jonah's room. “Just give me a minute. I'll be right back!”

He laid back down with his hands behind his head. “Okay”

I locked the door behind me and took the lingerie out of my purse. It was a silky nude color with cuts of black lace. It was definitely the sexiest thing I owned. I pulled at the tags and readjusted the strap before I put them on.

I didn't want to just spring it on him, so I practiced a few modeled poses in the mirror before I finally unlocked the door.

I stood with my back arching against the door frame. My head was tilted back and I was slightly looking up. A few seconds had passed without a word from Jonah. I did my most model-esque walk over to him. “What do you think?” Still nothing. I looked down at him and he was fast asleep. I sighed dropping my posture into a slump.

I grabbed a throw blanket off the couch and tucked him in. I went back to Jonah's room and changed out of my ridiculous get-up.

Jonah spent almost the entire weekend at his office. There were so many last minute preparations and changes going on that we'd barely gotten a chance to see each other. I stopped by a couple of times wanting to let him know about Connor, but the right moment never presented itself.

Finally it was Monday morning. The day I'd been dreading. I walked into Connor's office and his receptionist immediately recognized me. A streak of fear struck her face as she debated on whether to stand up or not. As if I were going to barge into the back office without her approval.

“I'll let Dr. Cassidy know you're here.” She spoke quietly.

“Thanks.” I nodded my head and took a seat in the waiting room.

A few minutes had passed when Connor finally walked in. He leaned against the door, propping it open, for me to walk through. “Starting next week come straight to my office in the back. Make sure you have your notes ready and be prompt. I start seeing patients precisely at 9am.”

“Good morning to you too.” I mumbled as I walked past him. He ignored me.

“I have a patient in room 3, he's a 54 year old Hispanic male presented with an irregular mole with the probability of it being melanoma.”

“How do you know?”

“Years of experience.” He grabbed a chart sitting outside of the exam room and quickly skimmed through it. “And we're doing a biopsy to confirm it.”

I scribbled down as much as my tiny little hands could handle.

We spent a good portion of the afternoon going from exam room to exam room. I never realized how many patients came to see Connor. My feet were exhausted from running around.

“Alright Ms. Barnes, you're done for the day.” Connor's eyes were glued on the papers he held in his hands.

“That's it?” I asked, surprised at how smoothly the day had gone.

“That's it.” He spoke without looking up.

I grabbed my things and quickly headed to Jonah's office. It was the big day. The premier of his show. The studio was scheduled to start recording at 5pm, so I shuffled my way through the streets to get there in time.

I rushed inside, or at least I tried to before security stopped me. I swear you'd think they'd know me by now. Once I was finally in the clear they allowed me to go up the elevators to Jonah's studio. I walked into his dressing room where a storm of people surrounded him.

Priyal stood off to the side, clip board under one arm while she clicked away on her phone. There were two different makeup artists touching up Jonah while a hairstylist made his hair. Three of Jonah's writes sat in the room on the couch throwing information at him. The producer of the show stood in the middle of the room yacking away on his phone.

“You made it!” Jonah tried looking over, but the hairstylist kept turning his face back to look at her.

“Of course, I couldn't miss it for the world” I smiled.

Jonah pushed the makeup artists and hairstylist away as he stood up. “Everyone, can I please get a minute?”

The room grew silent as everyone stopped whatever they were doing and looked at us. One by one they began to leave until it was just us two.

“Jonah, I just want to say there's no one who deserves this more than you. You're the kindest, sweetest, and funniest guy I know. I'm so proud of you.” We hugged for a long time in silence. I knew it was Jonah's way of calming himself down.

Priyal knocked at the door. “Jonah, we're on the 5 minute mark!”

We rushed out of the room as we headed for the curtains. Jonah had a death grip on my hand. He looked over at me once he was on his mark. “I love you”

“I love you, too.”

“Okay, keep talking, it'll calm me down.” He shook his head and rolled his shoulders. “Tell me what you did today.”

I froze. I realized that I still hadn't told Jonah about Connor. Things had been so busy the last couple of days I never got a chance to. I couldn't tell him now. Not when he was about to start his very first show. But, I couldn't lie either, that would be even worse.

Jonah caught my drift. He took a couple steps towards me. “What's wrong? You've been making that worried face all weekend. Is everything okay?”

“I...” I paused trying to stall. “I didn't have a chance to tell you before, and I don't think right now's a good time either.”

Those were definitely the wrong words to say. It only made Jonah grow more anxious. “Lynn, what's going on? Tell me right now...”

“Connor” I blurted. “I was assigned Connor as my mentor and I spent the day shadowing him at his office today.” By the expression on Jonah's face I could tell what I said hadn't made much sense to him.

“What?” He asked confused. “You were with Connor?”

Before I could respond a man dressed in all black with huge headphones pulled Jonah aside. “Take your make. We're filming in 10...9...8...”

17 comments:

  1. All she had to say was that she shadowed her mentor for one of her classes at his office today. And then when the filming wrapped give more details. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that was a silly move, dropping it on him at the biggest moment in his life.

      Delete
    2. it was more of a shitty move than a silly move. I couldnt forgive that.

      Delete
    3. Agreed 100%. Worst possible timing and there were definitley ways to get around saying it was Connor. Buuuuuttt I can understand how she might have froze being put on the spot like that.

      Delete
    4. well, that was unecessarily cruel :/
      She didnt have to say Connor... mentor would have sufficed.

      Delete
    5. I think it was because he asked her what was wrong. She felt cornered and came out with it. Bad timing, yes, and I hope he gives her hell for it. She deserves that, but I don't think it was maliciously done on her part.

      Delete
  2. Really? Come on, Lynn. She could really teach a course on bad timing. So what should be all about Connor is going to have a black cloud over it because of her poor choice. She's hard to like sometimes. mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog but you should really spell check and edit! There's nothing worse than a word spelled wrong or used incorrectly to throw off the groove of reading. Part of being a good/professional writer is double checking your work so that it is perfect. I don't want to be critical it's just a huge pet peeve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My apologies! I always read, reread, and repeat so often that I get tired and overlook mistakes. Didn't realize that I hadn't gone back to fix them. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  4. Lynn's becoming something of an idiot.

    "Tell me what you did today"
    "I started my mentor shadow today, that's pretty much it. It took up the whole day"

    Later....Lynn explains who her mentor is, she tried to get it switched and was told no. the firs day went fine. The end.
    She's a grown woman, if you're not quick when put on the spot, you need to learn how to plan for situations like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh, I guess no one read your extra post the other day......yes it was a silly move. .....that's what gave us a cliff hanger.......it's what's making us wonder "ooooohhhhh what's gonna happen next".....good post! Also can't wait to find out what happened with the poppy situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually think Jonah will be ok with it. He's pretty emotionally mature, he knows it's not her choice and that she loves him I think he's more one to think it through and be understanding, than Connor who would have blown up straight away. Interesting to see how it pans out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like crying please don't ruin her and jonah....

    ReplyDelete
  8. HORRIBKE TIMING. Lynn couldn't find the right time to tell Jonah about Connor, yet she was forced to say something at the worst time.

    Please Please Please Overcome this. Jonah and Lynn are to stay together forever.

    ReplyDelete