Pages

Friday, April 17, 2015

Father Of The Bride (Jonah's Story)

Hello Love,

Today's bonus post will be in Jonah's perspective. It's strictly involving his thoughts and emotions leading up to his conversation with David, Lynn's father, as he asks for his blessing. I decided to choose just this part of the proposal to share from Jonah's view since involving what we've already seen through Lynn's perspective may be a little too repetitive. You guys are amazing, I love you, and thank you for being so supportive.

Xx
Zara
_________________________

There's a picture of Lynn that I keep at my desk at work. It isn't a typical posing picture like most people around the office have of their significant others. Lynn didn't even know that I'd taken it, but every time I saw it, I was reminded of the girl I'd fallen in love with.

I smiled as I remembered the day. It was a chilly afternoon and all Lynn wanted was an ice cream cone. I told her she was just trying to get my attention, but she argued that she wanted me to experience the sheer sensation of eating ice cream in the cool weather. Something about it tasting better. We hadn't started dating yet, so of course I hung on every word she said and decided to give it a try. I hate to admit it, but she was right.

Just looking at the picture reminded me of how cold it was that day. We were sitting outside the ice cream parlor at an old, ratty, coral colored iron table. Her softly curled hair was gently blowing in the wind as her shoulders caved in. Lynn, like most days, was wearing a cute little dress with a cardigan. One hand clutched around her body, pulling her cardigan closed, while the other held her ice cream cone. She wanted the cone with the sprinkles already on it because she said it looked cute. So cute that she didn't even end up eating it.

I'd said something that made her laugh and, for the life of me, I couldn't remember what it was.. She thought I was checking my phone and without her knowing I managed to capture her beautiful soul. Her chin was slightly tilted upwards and her smile was so big it bared her teeth and slightly hide her eyes. It was a sweet, melodic, laugh. I could make myself a fool a million times just to hear the sound. It was my favorite thing about her.

“Cohen! You staying late tonight?” Mike slammed his hand against the door frame of my office to get my attention.

“No...no, I'm about to leave.” I lifted my legs off my desk and sat upright in my chair.

“Good! Don't work too hard we need you to look pretty for tomorrow.” Mike was already half way down the hall as he spoke.

I shouted back hoping he'd hear me, “Come on, Mike, you're saying it like I don't always deliver!”

A second later I heard him laugh, “Good night, Cohen!” his voice disappeared behind the elevator doors.

I was so lost in my thoughts I didn't realize the time passing. I grabbed my things and headed home.

That weekend was Adam and Kadie's wedding. I'd been a nervous wreck all week anticipating Lynn's parents arrival. We only met a few times before, all of which were great, I just didn't know if we'd built up enough of a relationship for me to ask David for his daughter's hand in marriage. I worked in show business for almost a decade and nothing scared me more than being so vulnerable with the father of the woman I loved.

It was a now or never type of moment. There were too many perfect opportunities that I let pass because I just couldn't muster up the courage.

The night of the wedding Lynn asked me to dance when “Thinking Out Loud” started playing.

“Let's do the dance from Ed Sheeran's video” Lynn joked.

I gladly took her hand and walked onto the dance floor. I can't say I'm much of a dancer, but I spun Lynn around a few times just to make her happy. The way her face lit up with joy from something so simple was what finally gave me the strength to approach her father.

I waited until she was distracted before I spotted David across the room. He was by the bar conversing with a few of his friends. I walked over and he introduced me to them. A couple of them had already recognized me from the show. I politely asked to excuse David and the two of us sat at the bar.

“What's going on, boy?” He asked with his southern drawl.

“Well, David...” My hands anxiously tapped the bar table. “...I wanted to ask you...” I heard my voice tremble.

There was a smirk on his face when he lifted his hand to stop me. He turned to the bartender and ordered a couple of drinks. “Whiskey is the drink of confident Southern men. I want you to finish this and tell me, don't ask me, what you want.”

I rubbed my hands on my slacks before I picked up my drink. In a single gulp I finished it without breaking eye contact with David, a right of passage I'm sure. “David, I want to marry your daughter.”

He nodded his head as if he were thinking about something and took a measly little sip of his drink. “Lynn tells me you lost your father when you were younger.” My confidence was beginning to fade when he hadn't immediately responded to my statement.

I sighed, “He was a first responder and died in the line of duty.”

“God bless him” David raised his glass to mine before he took another sip. He set his drink down and leaned his elbow onto the bar. “There is nothing more a father wants for their child than to know that they're going into a good home with great company. Can I trust that?”

I straightened my posture, “Of course, sir. My mom and sisters love Lynn more than they like me.” I laughed, but David was playing hardball.

“You know Jonah, I spent my whole life working my ass off to build a life that I could bring my daughter into. There's been innumerable nights that I've spent making sure she had everything she wanted. What I'm trying to say is, my baby girl means everything to me. If I know she's even an ounce of unhappy, I'm gonna be unhappy. And I promise you boy you don't want to see a Texas man unhappy.”

I stared at him blankly. I knew he was just using a scare tactic, but I had to admit he actually frightened me a bit. I took a deep breath and tried to reassure him. “Well, we both have that in common. Lynn means the world to me and I'd do anything to keep her happy.”

“I don't know...” He stared at me as he took another sip. “I don't know how I feel about my daughter marrying a Giants fan.” It took a few seconds before his emotionless face finally grinned and pointed his finger at me. “The shot of whiskey actually worked, huh?”

“Oh God” I wiped my brow. “It was holding strong until you made that Giants comment” We shared a laugh before he signaled for the bartender to pour us some champagne.

“I know you're a good man with a head on his shoulders.” David patted my back so hard my body shook. “I don't think I've had a conversation with Lynn that didn't involve you. I was worried about her when she left Texas to come here, but she seems to be in a better place. We're just lucky to have you. With that being said, you have my blessing, son.”

I felt a wave of relief wash over me and I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Talking to David wasn't something I needed to do, but I knew it was something Lynn would respect. She always acted like she didn't care for old traditions, but I knew she wanted the man she would one day marry to ask her father first. It was even better for me because I felt a kind of confidence that I didn't know I had.

“Have you bought the ring yet?” David asked. We stood up from the bar stools and were walking back to our table.

I nodded my head, “I bought it last summer.” David looked impressed as I pulled the box out of my pocket. We both turned our backs away from the crowded hall for some privacy.

Back in the summer when Lynn would stop by my office for lunch we'd play this game where we'd people-watch the snobby shoppers on fifth avenue and take turns coming up with ridiculous things they were thinking. There was one particular day her eyes lingered a few seconds longer on the window display at Harry Winston. She pretended like she was looking to see if there was anyone inside, but I knew it was the ring that caught her eye. The next day I went back and bought it.

“Ooh wee” David exclaimed when he saw the ring. “Look at that sucker!” He took the box from my hand and examined it. “What ever you do, don't show my wife, I know she's gonna start nagging me if she sees this thing.” David joked.

David handed me the box and I tucked it away before Lynn was able to see it. She grabbed a glass of champagne from a waiter passing by and joined us.

“What are you two talking about?” She asked as she wrapped her hand around my arm,

“I was just letting Jonah know that our Cowboys have one more ring than the Giants.” He winked at me without Lynn noticing.

“Daddy, stop it."

“No, it's okay Lynn.” I smiled “I have a feeling the Giants are gonna get another one for their team.”


6 comments:

  1. Hearing how he truly loves her makes me feel all happy and warm inside. I hope my own boyfriend thinks of me in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so freaking adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song and that video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Ed Sheeran. Good Lord, woman! My husband asked my mother, and my daughter's future husband better darn well ask her daddy. Some things, in my mind, are timeless and should be respected. Great post! mum

    ReplyDelete