Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Lights, Camera, Action

Have you ever experienced that moment when something you've been dying for finally happens? When you're so excited that you completely blank on any occurrences that may have happened before or after?

That's how I felt.

It was Monday morning and I was sitting in class. The auditorium-style room was filled more than usual as we had a guest speaker. A tiny elderly woman, in a dark gray suit, spoke about her time as a pro bono doctor in the Middle East. The stories she had to share were fascinating. I would occasionally see Sarah wiping a tear from her eye.

“Oh my God” Sarah whispered under her breath,“That's amazing! This is exactly why I'm in this field.”

I snapped back to reality as I heard everyone clapping. I had been lost in my thoughts, again. Ever since I had gotten a text from Jonah letting me know he was coming into town, I was a zoned out mess.

I started packing up my book bag. It was already time for our mid-morning break. Sarah, Henry, and I would always go to a small bakery across the street from school to eat a late breakfast.

“I'll have the croissant sandwich...” Sarah said in a perfect french accent “With a side of your fruit mix please.” She turned her head back towards Henry and I, “How about you two?”

“Just a coffee, thanks.” I wasn't feeling very hungry. I walked over to an empty table and sat down. I pulled out my phone and looked at Jonah's text again. I couldn't believe it had already been a couple of months since I'd last seen him. Time was flying by.

Sarah and Henry walked over to the table with their trays of food. “You've been looking at that bloody text all morning.” Henry said abrasively.

“You guys just don't understand” I took my coffee from Sarah and put away my phone. “It's like if you and Jebrone were just at the peak of your love and suddenly he moved away.”

“Too soon!” Henry stabbed a honeydew melon with his fork.

Sarah giggled, “You did it to yourself”

“Oh bugger off” Henry whimpered.

Jebrone had found out about Henry's interactions with Jaime while they were on a “break” shortly after they had gotten back together. Needless to say, Jebrone wasn't having it and ended things with Henry. It made for some awkward encounters between the group.

We headed back to class after we finished up.

The rest of the week had rolled by without even noticing. It was Thursday night when I had gotten a call from Connor. He was making dinner and wanted me to come over. I was having one of those days and decided that it couldn't hurt to stop by.

“Hey!” Connor yelled as he opened his door. I was completely caught off guard by his change in attitude. He'd always been a witty, sarcastic kind of guy.

“Hi” I said quietly as I walked inside. He could tell by the look on my face that I was concerned for his well being.

Connor laughed, “It's Thursday, I'm making steaks, and I have wine straight from Italy.” he said in a way that almost sounded like he was explaining his good mood.

“Great!” I took off my coat and walked over to the kitchen. “I'm a little confused though?”

“About what?” Connor started pulling out glasses to pour wine into.

“I thought we weren't going to mix personal and pleasure?” I traced my finger around the rim of my glass.

Connor let out a sigh as he uncorked the wine. “I know. It's just...” He waited a minute before finishing “I don't know a lot of people in the City yet outside of my associates. And I didn't want to bring work home with me so...”

I held up my hand to make him stop. I knew where he was getting at. I had mixed feelings about this new vulnerability I was seeing in Connor. It was like puppy dog syndrome. He was breaking our rules and yet I couldn't get mad because he was, well, too cute.

“Wait” Connor set the bottle down. “It's not like you came here strictly for business anyway”

I held up both my hands accusingly, “Guilty”

“So let's make an exception for tonight.” He raised up his glass waiting for my response.

“Fine” I gave in and clinked my glass against his.

I helped Connor saute some veggies while he finished up on the streaks. We set the dinner table and sat down to eat.

“This is amazing!” I was shocked at how good the steaks were. It was cooked perfectly and was flowing with flavor.

“These veggies aren't too bad” Connor winked as he ate a piece of broccoli.

“Do you like cooking?” If Connor was going to give me a one day pass, I was going to use it to my full advantage to learn more about him.

“Well, I picked it up when I was in med school” He ate another bite before continuing, “I couldn't afford to eat out, so I was forced to work with what I had. It turned into a hobby I guess”

After we finished dinner I helped Connor clean up. We talked a lot about our families and I gave him the rundown of places to go in the City.

I had an early morning class on Friday, so after cleaning up, I headed back home. I was glad we spent some time together without fooling around. Don't get me wrong, the sex is great, but it was nice to see a different side of Connor.

When I got back to the apartment Kadie was already home.

“Hey, K. How was work?” I flung my book bag onto the bed as Kadie followed me into my room.

“Well, we finally signed the contract with the network. But Eva still won't tell us who it is. She's having a press conference type of party where she's planning on revealing it.”

Surprised, I raised my eyebrows “Wow, it must be a major company”

“Must be” Kadie walked over to my closet and pulled out a dress. “She said I could bring a few friends. I'm going to be working on the party all day tomorrow so you can meet me there” Kadie handed me the dress “And wear this”

It was the purple high-low dress I had bought the day Jonah and I went on our first date. I smiled as I stared at it, feeling nostalgic.

Remembering Jonah I pulled out my phone from my purse and texted him.

T-1 day! When will you be free this weekend?

I took the dress and hung it off of a hook on the back of my door.

“I'm gonna go to sleep. I'll see you tomorrow at the party. Text me when you get there” Kadie pulled out a necklace from my jewelry box and hung it with the dress before she left.

Half an hour had passed before Jonah replied

I can't wait :) I'm coming in Friday evening. How bout Saturday?

I couldn't help but smile as I texted him back

Sounds perfect!

I wanted Friday to quickly pass. I was so anxious to finally see Jonah. To smell him, feel him, run my hands through his hair. I couldn't take it anymore.

After class I came back to the apartment to shower and get dressed for Kadie's work party. If it were up to me I would have came home and fell asleep. Anything to make Saturday come quicker.

I changed into the outfit Kadie pulled together for me. Sarah was coming too, so she offered to have her driver pick me up.

“I hate these things” Sarah said unenthusiastically as I climbed into the car.

“Tell me about it. I'm just going to see what all the excitement is about”

We finally made it the venue and saw a step and repeat surrounded by paparazzi and news anchors. I couldn't quiet see what was going on because of the crowds of people.

“My mum will do anything for the press” Sarah rolled her eyes at the crowds and pulled my arm to lead me to a side entrance.

When we got inside I was completely amazed by the decor. There was a small stage nicely set up for speakers. The ceiling is the room went up a few floors, and there were beautiful chandeliers hanging down. The space was filled with big round tables with the most gorgeous flower centerpieces.

Sarah and I couldn't help but stop and stare in astonishment.

I saw Kadie from across the room. There was a crowd of people in front of her. She started pushing through them, and bumping into tables and chairs, as she tried to make her way to me. I could see her mouthing “Oh my God” as she raced over.

Sarah and I laughed at the sight of how ridiculous Kadie looked. When she finally made it to us she stopped to catch her breath.

“Lynn!” Kadie yelled “I just found out and you will never believe whose network it is” Just as she was about to say it, I stole the words right out of her mouth.

“Jonah”

She looked defeated that I ruined her announcement. “How'd you know?” She looked up to see my eyes staring behind her. There in the background stood Jonah.

21 comments:

  1. Oh my! I hope you surprise us with a post on Friday! ! I am tearing out my hair waiting to find out what happens between her and Jonah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! You're killing me with these Jonah cliffhangers on Wednesdays!! LOVE your blog though and love Jonah! Great job, looking forward to more!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a feeling this was coming when she met the sister who hinted at him coming back and then Kadie has a surprise new client!!! SOOOOO excited to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we just get a Friday Post Pleasseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!! i need to know what happen next. or either way i need a life... i wait to patiently to your post !


    Keep the good writing . You are awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Jonah for her. Always rooting for chivalrous guys who treat women right!! Everyone adores a good love story :)

    Lifebyaleah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I KNEW IT! As soon as Kadie kept stressing how secretive it was & Jonahs sister mentioned something about his own network I knew he had to be the secretive network! Please give us a friday post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god!!!!! I love Jonah!! Hope things do not get messed up between them due to Connor!

    I love the way you write!! Please give us a valentine's bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE this <3 I am hoping for a FRIDAY post!! Can't wait to hear all about what happens with Jonah!! I'm also loving that we're hearing a little more about Connor! Although I must admit, I've been TeamJonah since the beginning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew it! Oh please please please don't leave us hanging until Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. can I say that this is one of the best blogs? because it is!!! when I read it I actually feel myself the emotions that characters are going through! and that is what I'm looking in writing! keep up the great work, and omg that cliffhanger... how I'm a excited for next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please please valentines post Friday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew it would be him!! please let there be a Valentine's day post about them ;u;

    ReplyDelete
  13. My love for this blog seriously grows with every post! I wish I knew more about you as an author (even just your name!) because I have become so invested in this blog it’s ridiculous. I love that you acknowledge your readers and actually listen to us. I know we got a Friday post not too long ago, but I honestly don’t think I can wait until Monday. I cannot even tell you how much I love this whole connection and love story going on between Jonah and Lynn. I’m obsessed with them and I’m too excited for them to be reunited! If you can, pleaseeee give us a special Friday valentine’s day post all about Jonah and Lynn!! Just one more time! And thank you for bringing him back!! :)

    PS - I’m still super curious if we will ever find out what that NY Times article about Connor was all about!

    -Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man!! I really enjoyed I can't wait to see what happens next.. I sure hope for a surprise post Friday too espically since it's valentines Day maybe they'll have a hot date or something nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eeek! I think she's starting to like Connor, and now Jonah comes to town! I bet he figures out something is going on with Connor and isn't pleased!

    Great writing as usual!

    www.minneapplegirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yipeeeee.....Jonah is back....really happy about this post :-) I wonder how this is going to play out with Connor in the mix, the guy already got dissed once.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Connor is becoming more human, and not just a piece. I think Connor is seeing Lynn differently as well. Now add some Jonah to the mix, and it's gonna get really fun! mum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting!! Great post!! Thanks for keeping it spicy & all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll have a short(but sweet) bonus post for today. Because, well, love is in the air :) expect it around late afternoon. Thanks for being such amazing readers!!

    ReplyDelete