Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Read All About It

“I need the step and repeat to be directly in front of the elevators! How many times do I have to tell you?”

Kadie yelled at a group of workers that had been setting up for the launch of her new firm. The party was taking place at the office that night and she couldn't have been more stressed. She stood gripping her forehead while her other hand held a clipboard and rested, irritatedly, on her hip.

Adam came walking in like the suave business man he was. He spoke calm and firmly, “Don't mind her fellas, you're doing a great job. But, it would look better over here” He gestured to where Kadie had wanted it. Adam turned around giving Kadie a look and whispered loudly, “You can't talk to people like that. Especially people who are helping you.”

Kadie rolled her eyes and leaned over Adam, “I'm sorry, y'all” She stepped back “I'm just so stressed out!” She frantically scanned the paper that was on her clipboard. “I can't get a hold of the caterers, Jack and Phillipa still haven't left Chicago yet, My step and repeat doesn't look how I want it to, and now there's only 3 hours until the event. What are we doing wrong?” Her lip quivered and Adam quickly embraced her in a hug.

He rubbed her back slowly to calm her down. “It's okay! I just talked to Jack and Phillipa, they're already on their way, The step and repeat is being taken care of, and I'll go check on the caterers. Don't stress, everything's gonna be alright.”

Kadie's face was buried in Adam's chest. The only sight of her was her back rising and falling after she'd taken a deep breath. She stepped back and looked up at him. “Thank you.”

Adam looked down at his watch “Okay, seriously, you two need to go get ready!”

“Wait” Kadie looked down at the clipboard once again “I have to make sure they set up the lounge chairs on the balcony. They have to be placed a certain way in order for us to -” I grabbed the clipboard out of Kadie's hand and gave it to Adam.

“Come on, Kadie. You look like a mess. You can't go to your company's launch party like this.” I pulled her arm and dragged her into the elevators. “We'll see you at 8, Adam!”

“Make sure you wear your lucky dress!” Adam shouted as the doors shut.

“Lucky dress?” I asked.

Kadie laughed to herself. “He calls it that cause we always have crazy..." She wiggled her brows so no one would hear "...every time I wear it.”

“Gross.”

We headed back to Kadie's place. She had a couple of makeup artists come by to help us get ready for the night. We both had a smokey eye look. Mine was more subtle with loose curls, while Kadie's look was a little more intense with a low, messy, updo.

There was a knock at the door. I jumped out of my chair to open it.

“Va-va-voom!” Jaime exclaimed as he saw me. He walked inside to see Kadie sitting in the makeup chair. Her artist was adding finishing touches. “You two look amazing!” He sang the word to give it more emphasis.

“You're looking quite dapper yourself” I examined the fitted black suit he was wearing with a skinny tie.

“Kadie, are you so excited, or what?” Jaime  asked as he sat in my empty chair while we waited for Kadie to finish up.

Kadie let out a low grunt, “More like I want to projectile vomit. I'm so nervous.”

He cringed at the thought. “Oh whatever, you know it's going to be amazing.”

Jaime was my unofficial date for the night. Jonah, Sarah, and Henry weren't able to attend. Unfortunately Jonah's network was exclusively signed with Darlington, so it would've been a conflict of interest. And well, it wouldn't have been a good look if the daughter and nephew of Eva attended either.

It was a little over half past eight when we arrived to the event. Kadie's leg shook restlessly as she stared out the tinted windows of the SUV.

“Where is everyone? Why isn't anyone here?” She stuck her head out closer to the window.

“Calm down. I'm sure people are just trying to come a little late.” I held onto Kadie's leg, forcing her to stop shaking.

Ho-ly shit!” Jaime exclaimed as the car turned the corner of the building. There was a step and repeat set up outside and a crowd of paparazzi flashing their camera at the talents that stopped to pose.

“Whoa” I whispered. It looked like an actual A list event. “I didn't know you set up a step and repeat outside the building.”

Kadie shook her head “ I didn't...”

We jumped out of the car and made our debut. Adam greeted us outside.

“What do you think?” He asked Kadie pointing to the crowd. “I figured if we moved it outside it would bring more media attention.”

“This is exactly why I'm marrying you!” Kadie excitedly cheered as she grabbed his face to give him a kiss. “You're a fucking genius!”

Kadie and Adam walked the red carpet in confidence. They'd been to so many events together it turned into a normal thing. Jaime and I on the other hand were a different story. It was like prom all over again, awkward poses and a date who's in the closet.

The party was filled with models, up and coming actors, and a few bands that I'd recognized from the festival we'd went to earlier in the summer.

One of them being The Kicks. I spotted Daniel with his other band mates, Will, Elijah, and Chris. They, not only were signed onto Kadie and Adam's new firm, but were also the main performers for the night.

“How have you guys been!” I squealed and gave each one a hug. I introduced them to Jaime and we quickly brought each other up to speed on our summers. Theirs was way more productive than mine. The boys had spent the summer touring all over Europe and were back in the States to start their first American tour. I pulled Daniel aside once everyone was distracted by Jaime's fan-girling moment. “How's everything with Lauren?”

“She's wicked!” He spoke excitedly. “But we haven't been too serious. It's hard to have a relationship when you aren't around to see each other.”

“Don't worry” I rubbed his arm soothingly, “It's rough now, but once you're done with your tour and back home, it'll all be worth it.” I smiled and so did he. Just then a bright flash went off across from us. We both looked over to see a photographer taking pictures of every one around the room.

Kadie and Adam called everyone out to the beautiful patio outside that over looked Columbus Circle and Central Park. They gave a quick speech and thanked everyone for coming.

The night went on with the newly signed bands performing. Jaime and I made our way around the room and pretended like we fit in. We spent most of our time freaking out over which celebrities had shown up.

The next morning I was woken up by a text from Jonah.

Looks like you had fun last night.

I smiled at the text not knowing what he was referring to. I scrolled through our conversation to see if I'd sent him pictures and maybe forgot, but there was nothing.

What are you talking about?

Jonah responded by sending me a link to a gossip website. I clicked on it and a picture popped up of Daniel and I looking at each other, smiling, while I caressed his arm.

The title, in big bold block letters, read:

Over Before It Began: Jonah Cohen's Ex Moves On to The Kicks' Front Man.

18 comments:

  1. I read the bold letters before the end of the story and I thought they were talking about lauren. Like lauren used to date Jonah in LA before Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would anybody care about an up and coming comedian's on off girlfriend to warrant a gossip article published about her? Bit unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. since it's a fictional blog, it can be as realistic or unrealistic as the author pleases. It's just a story. Vampires aren't real either.

      Delete
    2. It's an opinion. You don't have to agree. Run along now.

      Delete
    3. Reeeeeooooooowwwww!!

      Delete
  3. Oh geez. Surely Jonah knows how the gossip sites are! Hope it isnt a huge issue. And I don't think it's unrealistic... site like tmz do stories about not so famous people all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree doesn't seem unrealistic. The way I'm reading it, it seems like his show is like jimmy fallons I would think there would be buzz about him, especially if E! is doing a story on him

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^that was my first thought, how unrealistic. Then I thought about how many people have been MADE famous in just that way, by doing nothing but being gossiped about, can we say KARDASHIAN?? mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey mum,

      Wasn't sure if you saw that Laura posted on her Lanie Living it Right blog...I saw you requested photos and she put some up earlier this week.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't seen it. Thanks, anon! mum

      Delete
  6. Awww poor Jonah! One of my friends yesterday was complaining about a gossip site getting her relationship (twice!), I guess it does happen to not-so-famous people! I hope she is able to talk to him about this and straighten things out!
    www.poetsandheartbreakers.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If she's referred to as his ex, "over before it started" doesn't make any sense to me. Nit picking, I know. I also think that Jonah is smarter than to think that Lynn is involved with Daniel. We'll see, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, please let him quickly know and believe it was nothing, I really like them together! !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn better straiten this out quick!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love a bonus post - I can't wait to hear about their visit to see Jonah's family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't get why everyones freakin out about it being unrealistic? one, it's a ficitonal blog! and two, theres a million types of gossip sites, it doesn't necessarily have to be at a "celebrity" level, it can be about the known faces in new york...ie, gossip girl anyone??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that this blows over quickly but I'm guessing that as unrealistic as it could be, it shows that Lynn and Jonah will be dragged into more of the public eye. Also, I think of Jonah as being the equivalent to someone like Seth Meyers so gossip like that doesn't seem too unrealistic to me

    ReplyDelete