Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Word of Advice

“So, when did you and Connor plan this?”

Once the commotion died down, I approached Jaime, who'd obviously been in on the whole thing.

“Remember when I asked for your spare?” Friday morning before jumping onto my flight I'd seen a text from Jaime letting me know he'd forgotten his shoes at my place. I responded back by telling him where to find my spare key, so he could help himself inside my apartment. “While I was there Connor came over. After talking to him, I figured his intentions were good. He said he'd come back when you were in town, but I told him to come here instead. I thought you'd like that.” Jaime nudged my shoulder.

I was beaming with happiness as I looked up at Connor. It was a romantic gesture that put all my doubtful feelings about him to rest.

“Well, well, well, if it isn't the philanthropist, Dr. Connor Cassidy!” Kadie walked up to us while clapping her hands. “You need to take notes from his book, Adam.” Kadie turned around and smiled at him.

“Connor, this is Kadie. Old-time bestie, short-lived roomie. And this is her boyfriend, Adam.” It was about time they finally met each other. And a little ironic that it happened in Texas.

“I can see now why you were so hung up over him.” Kadie looked Connor up and down. My face grew red as I elbowed her to be quiet.

“Dr. Cassidy!” I heard my dad call out from the distance. I've never seen him happier. He was practically skipping with joy.“I'm so glad to see you here!” Although my dad did like Joshua, when we were dating, he always wanted me to be with someone successful and determined. So, this was a big moment for him.

He pulled Connor away and my mom decided to do the same with me. “Two handsome men, both mine and your father's choices. What's gotten into you Lynn Lee?” She joked.

“Mom, I told you Jaime's just a friend. And Connor and I aren't together...yet.”

“What are you waiting for? He came all the way here didn't he?” She looked at my face and knew something was wrong. “Is there someone else?”

“Maybe” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Jesus, Lynn.” My mom folded her arms. She continued after taking a breath “Is it that boy we met in New York? What was his name? Jonas?”

“Jonah” I corrected her. “He moved to LA. He doesn't know when he's going to be back in New York. I'm just afraid that if I end up falling for Connor, that I'd be giving up on what could happen between Jonah and I.”

“Honey, you shouldn't think like that. Things happen for a reason. And right now, Connor is the one who's here for you.” We both looked over to see my dad and Connor enjoying their conversation.

“What's going to happen if I do take things further with Connor and Jonah's back in town?” I turned around to face my mom.

“Things will turn out the way they should. Don't question it.” My mom took a sip of her wine and winked at me before walking away. I was left dumbfounded at how calm she'd been.

By the time I made my way to Connor my dad had already introduced him to half the guests at the wedding. I pulled him aside to break him free. “I'm sorry, Connor.”

He smiled as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “It's fine. Your dad is a great guy. Plus, it's nice meeting the people you've grown up with. It explains a lot.” He held back a laugh as he side eyed me.

I playfully punched Connor. “Hey!” He grabbed my hand instead and intertwined his fingers with mine.

The reception area was finally opened and everyone walked over to take a seat.

Woody strode over and took a seat next to Connor. “So, you think you can come in here all high and might, make out with Lynn Lee in front of everyone, and just be a part of our group?” He placed one hand firmly on the table and the other on his knee.

Connor looked confused as to what was going on. I explained to him that Woody, and everyone else at the table, were all old childhood friends. “He's a little over protective.” I whispered into his ear.

“Nah uh, that ain't how it's gonna work. Now tell me, Connor is it?”

At this point Connor was enjoying Woody's absurdly thick country accent. He laughed and nodded his head. “Yeah, sure.”

“Did I say something funny, boy?” Connor bite his lip and held back his laugh. “So, you live in the city, huh? I'm hearing an accent. Where are you originally from?”

Renee and Travis walked over to the table and engorged themselves in Woody's behavior. We all sat back and quietly watched him put Connor on trial..

Connor's accent was so faint I was surprised Woody was able to pick it up. “Boston”

“Any relations to the Kennedy’s?”

“Yeah, cause everyone that lives in Boston is related to the Kennedy's.”

“There's that Yankee sarcasm I've heard so much about!” Woody clapped his hand against the table.“What do you do for a living, son?” He leaned forward, placing both his elbows on his thighs.

“One, I'm a doctor", Connor leaned forward to mimic Woody's posture, "And two, I'm older than you, don't call me son, son.” Connor picked up his vodka tonic and took a sip.

“Ooh, Lynn Lee” Woody turned over to me, “You got a feisty one here! Ladies and gentleman of the jury, is it a yay, or a nay?"

Everyone around the table raised their glasses and cheered, "YAY!"

Woody turned back over to Connor, “Alright, you just barely passed the test for tonight. But, just remember one thing, Lynn Lee here is a real southern girl. And you don't mess with southern girls. Just ask Carrie Underwood, she'll give you the play by play.”

There was laughter from around the table as Woody stood up, patted Connor on the shoulder, and shook his hand. 

"It was an honor, sir." Connor joked.

Woody placed both hands on his hips "Of course it was." 

Jaime walked up to Woody and wrapped his arm around his neck, "You remind me a lot of someone." 

"Oh yeah, who is that?" Woody asked as the two of them walked away.

Connor leaned in towards my ear,“Is that true about southern girls?”

“Hell yeah!” I smiled.

His hand slide under my dress and pinched my inner thigh as he whispered back. “Well, we might have a problem cause Boston boys are bad as fuck

The MC quieted everyone down as Mark and Lacey made their entrance as a newly wed couple. Once dinner was served and speeches were over, we all spent the night on the dance floor.

I was glad to see Jaime made new friends. I watched him as he danced with Lori and Rebecca, each one fighting to have his attention.

I looked around and noticed everyone lost in their own conversations. I grabbed Connor's arm and took off in a whim.

“Where are we going?” Connor sounded confused by the sudden jolt.

“Just follow me!” I looked back again to make sure no one was watching. The coast was clear. We ran towards the farm house and up a small flight of stairs to the porch. There was a back door open so we tip toed inside.

We found ourselves in the kitchen. There were people buzzing around trying to clean up dinner. Connor and I stealthy walked through, with our backs to the wall past all the workers. We made our way across the living room and up the stair case.

I peeked around the hallway of rooms until I found one that was empty. Connor and I walked in and I locked the door behind us. I stood with my back against the door as I looked at Connor, standing in the middle of an old vintage room, confused.

I felt a tingling sensation run through my body. The corner of Connor's mouth curved up as I slowly approached him. “Lynn” he softly whispered, “what's going on.” my hands found their way underneath Connor's suit jacket. They trickled up towards his shoulder until the jacket slid down his arms. He shimmied it off his hands and threw it onto the bed.

“Shh” I kissed my way up his neck until I was on my tippy toes, staring straight into his eyes.

“I thought you wanted to take it slow” He whispered again. This time leaning his mouth forward to kiss me. I pushed my head back before he could. My eyes focused on his lips. His smile grew as I teased him.

“I do. But, right now let's just make an exception” My hands slid up from his shoulders to behind his head. I gently strummed my fingers through his hair.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Connor's eyes looked down at me. I felt goosebumps covering my body. Just as I nodded my head Connor picked me up in his arms. He put me down on the bed and I leaned up on my elbows. His body hovering over mine. We stared into each others eyes as our noses grazed one another. Our breaths were synchronized when Connor finally leaned down and kissed me. It was a short, soft, sweet kiss.

His eyes met mine again. We were both at a loss for words. This time felt different. There were actual feelings involved. It wasn't just a meaningless kiss that lead to something else. It was like we'd said everything we needed to say without saying anything at all.

I reached up and loosened Connor's tie. We went back and forth until we couldn't anymore.

“I think” Connor tried to catch his breath “I need to do more things for you to be thankful for.” We both laughed before we kissed again.

I wrapped my arms around his shoulder as he looked down at me. “I'm so glad you came.”

“I'm glad I did, too.”

We quickly cleaned up and threw on our clothes. We hadn't realized how much time had past. I stood by the bedroom door waiting to unlock it as Connor fixed his suit jacket. Once he did, he wrapped his arms around my waist. I opened the door and we both walked out, still intertwined.

Just then the bathroom door across the hall opened and out walked Joshua. I watched as his eyes shot around and realized what had been going on. He gave me a look of fiery, but continued to walk down the stairs without saying a word.

“Ouch! Did you see that bruise?” Connor cringed. “I wonder what happened.”

I laughed to myself, “Long story.”


14 comments:

  1. You Never disappointment Lynn Lee... awesome posts!!

    How real is theses stories from real life? because if there any change i would love to meet Connor and Have a friend in Jaime.

    Keep up the Good Writing, we are here to support you !

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I have always liked Connor. So glad to see that they are going to give it a go and Lynn's mom gave her some good advice about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have switched sides...I was originally team Jonah but now I am 100% team Connor. I love them together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! Connor is so sweet, but I know that there's a love triangle forming. Hopefully all goes well for Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, but Lynn needs to shut up about Jonah. He made his choice and she's still fawning over him like a salivating puppy. Connor has flown all the way to Texas to surprise her and she's there talking about Jonah?! How selfish and rude. I'm not sure I'm liking Lynn's attitude currently. I really don't want there to be a love triangle. I think it would ruin the story, tbh. I love this blog nonetheless, sometimes I just don't agree with the way Lynn acts and the choices she makes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm now team Connor he has been winning me over.. I like Jonah but he choose to leave to LA so Lynn Lee can't put her life on hold forever.. Maybe he'll come back married and we can move on past him and her and Connor can have some real for a while love the story and I'll be back to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you're saying re Connor and Jonah. With Connor, Lynn has stability; he has a great job and he's really into Lynn. Although Jonah's into Lynn as well, he isn't consistent. His job requires him to travel and I think Lynn needs consistency and a present boyfriend. That is what Connor is/will be.

      Delete
  7. Am I the only one wondering if anything will become of Jamie and Woody? They seemed friendly. Love this blog! -AK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally thinking the same thing! That would be a great plot twist!

      Delete
    2. I could be totally off base, but I think Woody is just that sweet guy you could always count on. I think he loves all his friends and doesn't want to see them upset or hurt.
      Katie

      Delete
    3. OMGosh, my antennae went up on that, too! LOL. We'll see! mum

      Delete
  8. I agree w most of the other comments! No love triangle. As great as he was, Jonah is no longer around. A watched pot never boils. Move on. Focus on the here & now. Connor. Give him an honest chance & try w him or let him go.
    Thanks for the great post!!
    I really like this blog!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post. The fact that Joshua saw her right after was perfect. mum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice story line Lynn, but I think u tried too hard in this post. Too many activities to keep up with especially in the narration of the sex part. I personally dint feel the connection. From the part that u were just hot for jonah to all of a sudden being so vulgar with connor. Sounds to me u r still confused

    ReplyDelete